6.16.2011

"Bronies"?

I came across this article on Wired the other day about grown men who are die-hard fans of the new  cartoon My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. These were my thoughts, presented to you in the style of Jon Acuff's list-of-consciousness:

  1.  Seriously, there are men who watch My Little Pony? That's just creepy and weird.
  2.  Into sentence: "Each day, out-of-work computer programmer Luke Allen self-medicates by watching animated ponies have magical adventures." There are so many awkward things happening in that line.
  3. I get the term "bromance", but "bronies"? These men like ponies, they aren't turning into them. Like some sort of weird sparkly pink centaur.
  4. That will probably be the next trend, now that we've gone past wizards and sparkly vampires. I hope not. There are too many mythological-creatures-turned-pop-culture-hearthrobs as it is.
  5. Did you notice in the photo caption that the Pony is referred to as an "action figure"? Does that make it more manly?
  6. I'm pretty sure I had a pony just like that when I was a little girl. Back in 1990. 
  7. Young adults are really nostalgic for the 90's right now, maybe that's why the ponies are back.
  8. Wait a minute, the woman behind the show is the same girl who did storyboards for The Powerpuff Girls? I loved that show! 
  9. If the animation is anything like The Powerpuff Girls, then it's probably fantastically adorable. 
  10. I vaguely remember web cartoonist Jeph Jacques posting a Pony illustration on his blog a while back (here it is!) - is he a "brony"??
  11. The show has good reviews - It has a 9.1 out of 10 stars on IMDB (compared to Glee's 8 and The Office's 9.2), which has to stand for something. 
  12. Where can I watch this show? I bet I would like it. I watch kid's shows like Wow Wow Wubzy and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends unashamedly. 
  13. Dang it! I found what channel it's on, but it's not one that I can get.
Who knew My Little Pony had such a cult following?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...