9.12.2011

Top 5: TV Shows Set in Ohio

People give Ohio a lot of flak for being a boring state. I know cornfields don't sound very exciting, but Ohio is a pretty cool place! We gave America the Wright Brothers, eight presidents, 24 astronauts (including the first man to walk on the moon), Thomas Edison, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Wes Craven, Bob Hope, Dave Chappelle, Doris Day, George Clooney and Clark Gable. You're welcome.

Anyway, the other day my friend and I were watching Melissa & Joey and realized that it's set in Toledo. Random, right? It got me thinking about what other TV shows are set in Ohio. It seems like a weird location for a sitcom but there's actually been over 20 shows set in the buckeye state! We all know The Drew Carey Show and WKRP in Cincinnati were set in OH, but what else?

5. Clarissa Explains it All











I love this show, but I'm putting it at #5 because even though I watched plenty of episodes as a preteen I had no idea it was set in Ohio. And surprisingly, despite the fact that Melissa Joan Hart has been in two shows set here, she actually grew up on Long Island.

4. Ed













Ed was a really underrated show. It centered around a big-time lawyer who discovered his wife was cheating on him the day he was fired and ended up moving back to his hometown of Stuckeyville, where he buys a bowling alley and runs a law practice while trying to finally win his high school sweetheart. Plus Michael Ian Black and Justin Long were costars, how could it not be funny?

3. 3rd Rock from the Sun













This is probably the most bizarre premise for a sitcom that ever made it big. A group of aliens are on an trip to Earth to study humans and disguise themselves as a family of misfits who live outside Cleveland. With a hilarious cast including John Lithgow, French Stewart, Jane Curtain, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt it's no wonder it's still being played as reruns. 


2. Hot in Cleveland









This is a relatively new show, having only started last year, and on TV Land, of all places. Why is it good enough to be my #2 show? Two words: Betty White. Just go watch it.


1. Glee

I know, I know, Glee is ridiculous and over-hyped and super annoying but once I start watching it I CANNOT STOP. It's a sickness. I even watched the reality show on Oxygen searching for the new Glee guest star.  Some (okay, most) of it is over-dramatic and unrealistic but I there are certain characters that are just awesome. It is huge right now - they go on tour and have a movie in theaters, for goodness' sake - and EVERYONE knows that it is set in Lima, Ohio. You can't deny the power of showtunes.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...