8.20.2012

Top 5: Current Favorite International Musicians

I've noticed as of late that a lot of the musicians I've been liking are actually based in other countries. Being the Anglophiles we are there are plenty of English bands gracing our airwaves, but I was surprised to find that some of my favorites are actually from countries all over the world. Has anyone else ever noticed that for the most part, musicians sing without an accent? I can't quite figure out how that works. Sometimes they sing in perfect English, then you see them in an interview and think, what in the world are they saying? How am I understanding anything they sing about? Blows my mind all the time. Anyway, below are my top 5 current favorites in international bands and musicians.

5. Phoenix
France



I had no idea these guys were French! I've heard some French pop music before and it was, you know, in French, but this isn't. The band members are from Versailles - yes, that Versailles, the one with the palace.

4. Belle & Sebastian
Scotland


This indie pop group comes from Glasgow, the largest city in Scotland. Their name comes from a French children's book, making them doubly international.

3. Gotye
Australia



If you haven't heard and loved Somebody That I Used to Know by now, I don't know where you've been for the last year. My local alternative station started playing it a long time ago - I think it's hilarious how I'll like something they play and then six months later the rest of the world is like, "have you heard this awesome song???"and all I want to say is "OMG, I was listening to that Foster the People song for like four months before you even noticed it!" but I'm not quite hipster enough to say things like that.

2. Two Door Cinema Club 
Ireland



Where did their Irish accents go? I don't know, but I do know that this song is infectious.

1. Of Monsters and Men
Iceland



They've been playing this band on my local alt station for a while now (you're awesome, CD101!) , and I've loved their hit Little Talks since the very first moment I heard it. Who knew one of my new favorite bands would be from Iceland?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...