7.07.2011

Babies

I'm worried for the next generation of children.

Not because of the economy, or the school system, or even the confusing premise that MTV doesn't play music. I'm worried because of Facebook.

I have at least half a dozen friends on Facebook that are pregnant right now. I know this because every time I sign on there are new status updates talking about cravings, nurseries, ultrasounds, and stretch-front pants. Don't get me wrong, I love babies, and I'm glad that my friends are starting families and enjoying their pregnancies. I love seeing them so excited to meet their children. What bothers me, though, is the fact that so many of the details of such a personal event are being published on the internet.



Announcing your pregnancy, publishing tasteful pictures of your baby bump, linking to adorable baby clothes you can't wait to dress your child in, that's all well and good. It's a big part of your life and I'm glad you're sharing it. But where do we draw the line? At what point does it become an invasion on your baby's childhood?

I have one Facebook friend who has an entire album dedicated to their unborn child, filled with ultrasound photos. Another set of new parents created a page all about their baby, for their friends to be fans of. Last week someone I follow on Twitter tweeted his daughter's birth, all the while "mentioning" his coming child via a Twitter account he set up for her using the email he created on her behalf. The intention was so messages for her can be saved online for her to read in the future, but is setting up a Twitter handle for an unborn child going a little too far?

Remember how embarrassing it is to have your mom flaunt naked baby pictures of you when your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/in-laws come over? Or those awkward middle school pictures, where you had braces and bad hair and hand-me-down clothes? Think about the fact that the majority of kids now have parents who post these things on the internet. Now fast forward 20 years, and that little girl is trying to get her first big job out of college, and when her prospective employer Googles her, he finds an entire catalog of her life. Her first birthday, a video of her 5th grade dance recital, prom photos, everything. Doesn't this strike anyone as weird?

When I was a kid, and first introduced to the internet, I was taught that I shouldn't let people know my real identity or where I lived or too many details about my life. I know times have changed since 1995. Now we have Facebook profiles and Foursquare check-ins and Flickr accounts. We know how to interact on the internet without giving away too much - or at least we think we do.

Maybe when I'm a parent someday, and have kids of my own, my thoughts on this will change. But for right now, it really bothers me that people will not post their address "for security reasons" but have no problem sharing their children with the internet.  Am I looking at this all wrong and taking it too seriously, or do you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...