7.05.2011

June Novel: Eat, Pray, Love

It's been six months now since I made my New Year's resolution to read a book every month and blog about it. I think I'm doing pretty well - I've finished all 6 novels for a total of over a million words (thanks to Atlas Shrugged!). I'm really enjoying this discipline of reading, I may set up a reading list for every year!

So this month the choice novel was Eat Pray Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by writer Elizabeth Gilbert. I've been curious about it, since it's gained so much attention in recent years - but was skeptical for the same reason. Suddenly this book comes out of nowhere and is not only a bestseller but is in Oprah's book club and is being adapted for the big screen starring America's favorite leading woman? The last book with that track record was The Da Vinci Code - and as much as I enjoyed it, I would never put it on a list of my favorite novels.

I asked around and got some mixed reviews. Some liked it, some thought Gilbert was crazy and felt less crazy by comparison. I was a bit apprehensive. I'd enjoyed all the books I'd read so far, was this one a bad decision?

I started it early in the month, just in case I hated it and it took me the entire month to finish. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I loved it, and finished it within two days. I don't know if it's because I'm partial to this type of non-fiction, or if on some level I related to Gilbert, or if she's just a really fantastic writer. Maybe it's all of those. I was enthralled by her openness and her desire to find God, no matter what it took. It was fascinating to be in her shoes and experience her growth as it unfolded.

Not to mention the descriptions, the characters she met, the beautiful locales she chose. I wish I could take a year off to travel and think and adventure and write. Oh, to be rich!

I'd love to be able to go more in-depth about the characters I loved and the wonderful concepts that Gilbert spoke about, but honestly, I read this book over a month ago (I started the first draft of this blog June 6, and ran out of time to finish it!). It was by no means a literary masterpiece but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Maybe someday I'll reread it and do an official recap blog.

Without further ado, on to next month's reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...