9.03.2011

August Novel: The Satanic Verses

First and foremost, let me say that this is not a book promoting Satan, filled with verses celebrating Satan, or even one demoralizing Christianity. People seem to get worked up when I tell them what I’m reading. This is a novel – most of the verses in question are poetry and rhymes used diabolically, and therefore are satanic in the sense of extremely evil or wicked in contrast to connected with Satanism. Yes, there is plenty of religious imagery, and yes, at times the characters question whether or not the verses came from Satan himself. This mention of the creature of Satan does not make this a Satanic (in the connected with sense) any more than the mention of him makes Milton’s Paradise Lost a Satanic poem.

As a Christian, I do believe that Satan is real and that there are dark, demonic things going on in this world. If I had had any indication that this book was associated with the occult or in some way glamorized Satan to the point of worship I would have immediately removed it from my reading list. But having read work by Salman Rushdie before and being familiar with his style of writing, in conjuction with the fact that this book is so highly acclaimed and has been for over 20 years, I was not worried. And now, having finished the novel, I have found that I was correct.
 


Read more >

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...