9.05.2011

Top 5: VHS Cassettes

We've been sorting through stuff at my parents' lately in preparation for a garage sale. For some reason my family has a ton of movies - there are two bookshelves flanking our entertainment center with tapes and DVDs double stacked. This morning I sorted through them and packed up four boxes. I should have counted as I packed, but I didn't - I'm guessing there are close to 300 that we're getting rid of. It's crazy, I know. I found some cool stuff we haven't watched in 15 years or so! Here are my favorite finds of the afternoon:

5. We're Back!














I remember really liking this movie as a child. Which makes sense, since it's directed by Stephen Spielberg. I don't know why we had two copies of it, though.

4. Fivel Goes West













"Somewhere Out There" is still an awesome song all these years later. Although to be honest, I can't remember much about the plot of this movie. Luckily I saved this one so I can watch it!

3. Winnie the Pooh's Blustry Day













That isn't me holding the box, but this is exactly what ours looks like. It's even worn like that, since we watched it so often. My mom confessed later that we watched it so much because she thought it was so cute that she wanted to watch it, too.

2. Ghostbusters













Who doesn't love Ghostbusters? Slimer, the Stay Puft man, the Keymaster, the cheesy effects, it's all awesome. This is one that we need to replace on DVD for sure. 

1. Walk, Don't Run













This is one of my mom and I's favorite movies of all time. I've watched it at least a dozen times, and that's just the VHS version. I love this tape because one year we went to watch it and it didn't work - the cassette was literally broken. The video tape was intact, but the actual plastic tape piece was cracked and wouldn't fit in the VCR anymore. So we did the only logical thing: found an old tape we didn't want anymore, took it apart, replaced the random film with the film from Walk, Don't Run, screwed it back together and played it. Since then I've bought us both DVD copies, but I'm keeping the transplanted tape for posterity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...