10.15.2011

Best Thing: Jim's Chili

One of my favorite things about my college experience was having such awesome professors. I don't know if it was because I went to a small school and it was easier to know your profs, or if I was just lucky enough to have amazing people as teachers, but either way it was great. I loved having teachers that would invite you to their house and eat lunch with you in the cafeteria.

At Halloween each year the Art Club and the art professors threw a big dance party with food and snacks. We blared music and gave away costume awards and scared the rest of our conservative campus and had a ton of fun doing it. Everyone in the art department made an appearance (even alumni) for one reason: Prof. Jim Hendrickx's Chili.


Jim's Chili, Fall 2009



















 I always ended up on the clean-up committee, but it was worth it - inevitably Jim would go home long before the party was over and ask us to take home his crock pot and bring it to class on Monday. Which meant my apartment ended up with leftover chili. Score!

Now that I've graduated, fall feels incomplete without a steaming pot of his thick and delicious homemade chili. I finally convinced someone who knew his secret recipe to share it with me (thanks, Chris!) and even though all I had was a list of the ingredients, I figured I could wing it and end up with something close. I'm not sure if my final product tasted exactly like his, but it was so good we cleaned out the pot and didn't even have leftovers! The recipe for what I ended up making is below.


My version of Jim's Chili



















Jim Hendrickx's Chili

1 lb ground pork sausage
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1 can northern beans, undrained
1 can black beans, undrained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
4-5 bay leaves
hot sauce to taste

In a large pot, brown ground sausage until no longer pink.  Add onion and garlic, stir. Add beans and tomatoes - do NOT drain any of the liquid, just dump everything in. Add remaining ingredients, adjusting for taste. Stir to combine and let simmer for at least an hour in order for the liquid to thicken (mine was on the stove for 3 hours).



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...