10.03.2011

Top 5: Holiday Films Not Set at Christmas

There are hundreds - if not thousands - of movies revolving around Christmas. From White Christmas to Christmas Vacation to Bad Santa, if you can think of a genre, then there is probably a movie set during the winter holidays. But what about all the other holidays? Where's the love for President's Day? Below are my favorite films dealing with non-Christmas holidays.


5. Hocus Pocus (1993)

This movie is ridiculous, in a good way. I think I first saw it when it was on ABC Family's 31 Days of Halloween. It's goofy and fun and so typical 90s. When you want fun for Halloween rather than gore, this is a good go-to movie.












4. Easter Parade (1948)

My grandmother had a big collection of musicals on VHS when I was a kid, and my sister and I used to watch them whenever she watched us. We were odd children who actually enjoyed going to the local theater and watching plays more than seeing movies. This is a typical musical, with romance, humor, and lots of dance numbers. I'm sure it's still played on TCM every Easter.






 3. Groundhog Day (1993)

This is another movie I watched often in my childhood, for some reason. Bill Murray has to live the same day over and over until he can make good decisions and break the time-loop spell - I remember him stepping in the same puddle over and over again and hearing the same song on the radio as he woke up to yet another February 2. I also learned how to pronounce Punxsutawney. I used to make a point to watch it every year but that didn't last very long.





2. Independence Day (1996)

 I didn't see this movie when it first came out, since I was 10 and it was rated PG-13 and wasn't allowed, but have seen it many times since. I'm a huge fan of epic action movies and of Will Smith as an actor (who knew the kid from Fresh Prince would go on to do films like Seven Pounds?). Take those two things, plus a big dose of alien invasions and 90s special effects, and you've got a winner. Or at the very least something really enjoyable.






1. An Affair To Remember (1957)

First of all, Cary Grant is one of my top 5 favorite actors of all time. This film is one of his most famous, where he plays opposite Deborah Kerr a couple that starts falling in love despite being with other people. They decide to meet up six month's later, on Valentine's day, at the top of the Empire State Building. She ends up in a tragic car accident, he thinks she has rejected him, but at the end they get back together (of course, right?). You might recognize it from being referenced in Sleepless in Seattle, where Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks agree to meet at the same time and place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...