12.17.2011

25 Days: The Head

I guess you could describe our family as passive-agressive pranksters. We like playing jokes on each other, but in a subtle way, if that's possible. We like to sneak things into each others cars and send stupid birthday cards that don't actually make sense. We're not the most overt jokesters, obviously.

This brings me to one of our favorite pranks, what we lovingly call The Head. The Head was discovered by my cousin Jon and his wife Tracy at a local discount garden supply store in the statue section.  They laughed hysterically, wondering why in the world anyone would want a ceramic cherub head as a garden ornament, and promptly bought it. The next chance they could get they snuck it into our yard and waited for us to find it.

Realizing how funny this was, we kept The Head, and waited for the perfect moment to leave it on their porch with a ransom note. This went back and forth a couple of times, and then things went silent for a while.

Then one day on my way home from college for the weekend, I get a phone call from my cousin Jon. He wanted my help in conspiring to send The Head back to my parents. I was in, of course. It was close to Christmas and he had this great idea to have me wrap it and sneak it under our tree and pretend it was one of our gifts. Genius.

So I wrapped it in some of our wrapping paper, hid it under the tree and presented it to my parents Christmas morning as if it were from me. Boy were they surprised!



It was the best con we ever pulled off. Jon and Tracy still brag about it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...