10.15.2012

Top 5: Creepiest Collector Barbies Currently for Sale

It's been a long time since I've posted a Top 5 - between moving, my friends' weddings, and not having internet at home, time has slipped away from me. But I'm going to get back into the habit of posting each Monday if it kills me, so without further ado, a new Top 5 list!

So I was perusing the Barbie website today, and honestly I'm not sure how I got there. One minute I was reading posts at Wired, and a few links later I was at BarbieCollector.com. The internet: it's a slippery slope, people. Anyway, I was flipping through the newest Barbies, as I used to collect fancy Barbies when I was a kid (I was a weird child who would rather look at them in boxes than play with them), and realized there are some really weird dolls out there. These are the creepiest dolls you can currently buy.

5. Pink in PANTONE Barbie, $49.95



I love Pantone swatches as much as the next graphic designer, so I kind of like this one, even if it is kooky. Still, how much of a crossover market is there for graphic design geeks who collect Barbie dolls?

4. Dancing with the Stars Samba Barbie, $29.95



I cannot understand the popularity of this show. I have seen multiple episodes, and I just don't get it. What I really do not understand is the ridiculous costumes worn by the dancers, usually the female partner. This doll comes complete with crazy glitter eyeshadow.

3. Tim McGraw & Faith Hill Dolls, $49.00



As a kid who grew up listening to country pop, I know that Tim & Faith are the power couple of country music. Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert can only hope to be as awesome as the two of them. The pair of dolls are actually not terrible, except for the weird expression on Faith's face. She is a very pretty woman in real life, and this makes her look really creepy.

2. The Twilight Saga: New Moon Jacob Doll, $24.95



This doll plays into the whole "Twilight Moms" culture that thoroughly concerns me. This is a collector doll, for adults, featuring a shirtless teenage boy. Creepy.

1. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I Edward Doll, $29.95



Do I have to explain this one? He's made of creepy almost-white plastic. I guess I should be glad that they didn't embed glitter to make him sparkle in the sunlight. In a weird way he actually looks like a vampire, Ann Rice-style.

Bonus creepy: look at him when they pose him with the Bella doll. He's staring at her in a "you look delicious" kind of way. Because that's a great way to portray a teenage romance.






All images from www.barbiecollector.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...