10.19.2012

Melissa McCarthy, Fashionista


Melissa McCarthy is awesome.


I've been a fan of hers since her days on Gilmore Girls, playing the affable Sooki alongside Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel. I once told someone I wanted to be Sooki and they responded with, "You tried out for a part on Gilmore Girls??" Um, no, crazy person, I just thought her character was awesome and wanted to be like her. She wears cool chef jackets and headbands, once tries to redecorate her house with deer heads and things to make it feel more "manly" when she starts living with Jackson, not to mention the awesome episode where they discover weed growing in one of Jackson's fields and refer to it with the code word "pickles" for the entire storyline. Fantastic.

It's been awesome seeing her continuing work on Mike & Molly and, of course, Bridesmaids, where she quickly became my favorite part of the film. I read that as inspiration for her character, she studied Guy Fieri and walked around set with sunglasses on the back of her head like him until they made her stop. That's hilarious. When my friend recently got married and we decided to recreate the movie poster, I called dibs on her character Megan and made jokes about puppies the entire weekend. It was perfect (and I can't wait to see the picture!).

So I came across this photo of her, and learned that she is in the process of designing her own plus-sized clothing line. How great is that? Here's her reasoning behind it:

“Trying to find stuff that’s still fashion-forward in my size is damn near impossible. It’s either for like a 98-year-old woman or a 14-year-old hooker, and there is nothing in the middle.”

Seeing as Melissa has worn some great fashions in her time, I'm pretty excited about this. She's one of the few actresses that does great work while happening to be plus-sized, rather than being the go-to "chubby" character, and I love that about her. We need more women in the media who are happy with their size rather than turning into Hollywood Barbie.

Some of Melissa's past fashions:



Main photo from here. Others from around the internet, including Just Jared and Exposay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...