7.30.2012

Top 5: Songs that Name Drop Celebrities

I don't know how you get through your work day, but I have to have music on in the background to help keep me focused. Honestly, I'm not sure how I got anything done before Pandora. I have the site open almost the entire time I'm at my desk,  constantly churning out song after song (two of my favorite preset stations are Summer Hits of the 90s and Today's College Indie, I highly recommend starting with them!). The other day the song Tonight Tonight by Hot Chelle Rae showed up in rotation, and the song always makes me laugh for mentioning Zach Galifianakis. Did they ask him first? Does he get royalties whenever the song plays? Did they have to look up how to pronounce his last name? Not to mention he's a completely random celebrity to include in song lyrics. It got me to thinking about other songs that mention celebrities in them, and it turns out there are a lot more than I thought - below are the videos for my top 5.


5. Manic Monday by The Bangles 
    Celebrity: Rudolph Valentino 

    This song constantly gets stuck in my head, it's definitely infectious.



4. Clark Gable by The Postal Service
    Celebrity: Clark Gable

    I'm still a little sad that this group will never make a second album.



3. Buddy Holly by Weezer
    Celebrities: Buddy Holly, Mary Tyler Moore

    I already loved Weezer, and then I learned they made a video where they sang on Happy Days. 



2. One Week by Barenaked Ladies
    Celebrities: LeAnn Rimes, Bert Kaempfert, Harrison Ford, Sting

   This is one of those weird songs that is still entertaining even almost 15 years (!) later.



1. Vogue by Madonna
    Celebrities: Greta Garbo, Marilyn Monroe, Marlene Dietrich, Joe DiMaggio, Marlon Brando, Jimmy Dean, Grace Kelly, Jean Harlow, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Ginger Rogers, Rita Hayworth, Lauren Bacall, Katharine Hepburn, Lana Turner and Bette Davis.

I'm pretty sure she named every major actor/actress from the golden age of Hollywood.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...