9.27.2012

Weird Bacon Recipes

Most people who know me are aware of the fact that I am a bacon fan. As I've mentioned before, my college friends and I would have entire parties revolving around the stuff. I love making all sorts of recipes with bacon in them - cupcakes, cheesecake, ice cream - but even I know that there comes a point where you can take bacon too far (case in point: the bacon milkshake). The other day I was browsing the blog Worst Things for Sale (there is some really horrible stuff out there!) and blogger Drew mentioned a few ridiculous bacon related recipes, so, of course, I had to share.

The first is "Sweet Saltines with Bacon," a recipe from one of Paula Deen's cookbooks, which was mentioned in a post about a 1-quart pan called a "butter warmer" that would hold two pounds of butter. But back to the recipe: it tells you to smear syrup on crackers, wrap them in bacon, and bake them until the bacon is crispy. I was able to preview the page on Amazon and took a screenshot for you (note the sidebar about using cane syrup to make it extra sweet).



I don't know what's worse, the fact that this is actually an appetizer in a printed cookbook, or that I would not be above making it when no one was around to stop me.

THEN, in a post about $20 Garbage Bowls, I was introduced the internet famous recipe known as Rachael Ray's Late Night Bacon. It is as follows:


Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of Rachael Ray's products and recipes, but really? Not only is this online at foodnetwork.com, but if you notice under the title it actually appeared on one of her shows. That means that at some point, Ray was paid to tell the world to microwave bacon.

The best part of the recipe is the comment section, full of sarcastic and hilarious anonymous web commenters. Here are a few of my favorites: 


  

Gotta love the Michael Scott humor in that last one!  

Seriously, though, guys -  I love bacon as much as the next guy, but isn't this getting a little ridiculous? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...